Thursday, January 10, 2013

Professional Developement, Maui-Style

Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center Maui is operated from this charming building located in the historical ranching town of Makawao right on the side of the volcano, Haleakala.  Today, Makawao is a vibrant community of artists and artisans whose work is available in numerous shops and galleries that line its character-rich streets. While we are on the island, I’ve enrolled in a metalsmithing course that will improve and expand my skills and designs working with wire and sheet metals.  I’ll be cutting, drilling and piercing metals, learning various soldering techniques and most exciting of all, bezel setting stones! I am SO looking forward to this! They also offer some great photography classed which I'm considering as well. And, I can’t wait to meet some members of the local art community!

Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center in Maui
The college is about 35 minutes from our place which is quite convenient.  I could travel the distance by highway, if I choose, BUT, part of the island culture is to slow down and take your time – so, I think I will take the longer route along the north shore through Pa'ia, a little surf town and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Maui mornings…inspiring, I think. 
 
Stay tuned as I will post photos of my progress (I’m optimistic there will be some J) and the scenery along the way!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Karon...love the lifestyle there! My son and DIL and grandbaby are on Kauai. sigh. Looks like heaven! I would love to take a jewelry making course but I don't dare take on any more projects! :) Your work has a delicacy that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi cait! I've never been to Kauai but have heard it is just beautiful there! and I don't know when you would find the time to take up jewelry making :) I see your old barn took a tumble!

    ReplyDelete