Thursday, April 30, 2009

What's Blooming Today? Forsythia!

Forsythia is pure joy. There is not an ounce, not a glimmer of sadness or even knowledge in forsythia. Pure, undiluted, untouched joy.
Anne Lindbergh (1906 - )

When this little forsythia blooms I know that spring had finally settled! We've had several days of sunshine and warmth which has literally popped tiny leaves, green grass and baby lilac blooms peeking out from their protective leaf buds...purple ones so far! The birds are singing for all their worth ~ I can hear them with the windows CLOSED! A plump red robin drew me to the window this morning with her happy song. She was perched at the top of our maple tree surveying the neighborhood...looking for a man, I think! Two little finches have set up housekeeping in a birdhouse I have sitting on the porch railing. It was never intended to be a permanent home (very wobbly in the wind) and now I'm afraid to move it in the event they are quite settled in...I'll have to keep an eye on them and secure it when they go out to eat!

Also blooming are my little, frilly anemones, starflowers, bluebells and the first daffodil!
...
I spent a fair bit of time in my cottage garden this weekend and made lots of progress! We cleared and planted two new large beds last fall and there are bits of green poking out of the ground, telling me they survived the winter...We are planning some big projects there this summer, including building a new cottage. I'll keep you posted! :)

4 comments:

  1. Aaah, the beauty of spring, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Ohio they said when the forsythia blooms there's only one more snowfall. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your spring bloom photos-- i love everything about spring--except for the pollen!!

    forsythia reminds me of my childhood--dogwood, azalea, daffodils, lilacs--- oh oh oh!!!

    ReplyDelete