Monday, May 25, 2009

What's Blooming Today? Apple Blossoms!


I planted this apple tree in the front yard at our cottage in 1988 ~ a tiny branch I unceremoniously tugged from the roots of a large tree on the beach. Today, at almost 20 feet tall, it shades our front porch and is a playground for dozens of bees, bluejays, yellow finches and chickadees...not to mention the chipmunks and Little Brown Squirrel. It is in full, glorious bloom this weekend ~ fuzzy blue-green leaves, sweet pink and white flowers and a fragrance that makes a person (me!) come to a full stop and just breathe!

There is some risk that we will lose this lovely tree when we dig the foundation for our new cottage this summer...so, I am particularly enjoying it's sweetness right now. And, I will be standing guard when that excavator arrives!




*****
Also blooming this week, are the late daffodils (I love the peachy trumpet!), hot pink tulips and the lilacs are beginning (more on them next week!)


No comments:

Post a Comment